- 500g whole raw shell-on king prawns (de-veined)
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 3-6 tbsp palm sugar (to taste)
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 6-10 Thai chillies (to taste)
- Juice of 2-3 limes (to taste)
- 1 tbsp oil for frying
- Spring onions (optional garnish)
- Roughly chop the Thai chillies.
- In a food processor, blitz together the garlic, chillies, palm sugar, fish sauce, soy sauce and lime juice until combined. (Alternatively, you can use a pestle and mortar to grind down the garlic, chillies and palm sugar, then mix in the fish sauce, soy sauce and lime juice.)
- Put the prawns in a bowl, then pour over the two-thirds of the marinade. Mix the marinade with the prawns (do not use bare hands) and set aside for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat the cooking oil in a pan over medium-high heat.
- Fry the prawns for 2-3 minutes on each side, brushing them with the remaining marinade as they cook.
- Prawns will be ready when they are orange-pink in colour and white on the inside. Top with chopped spring onions.