My take on the Oreo cupcake. Oreo cookie at the base, Oreo’s through the buttercream, and Oreo crumbs on top. It’s currently exam/study season which means I get cravings for something sweet. A great excuse for cupcakes! I used the Wilton 1M open star tip to pipe the icing onto the cupcake. I also used the vanilla buttercream from Betty Crocker as a little cheat.
Makes 12 cupcakes
- 100g self-raising flour, sieved
- 30g cocoa powder, sieved
- 120g caster sugar
- 140g unsalted butter, soft
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 20 Oreos (8 crushed, 12 whole)
- 400g vanilla buttercream (I like the Betty Crocker brand)
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (160ºC fan)/ gas mark 4. Line a 12 hole cupcake tray with paper cases. Place one Oreo into each case.
- In a bowl, cream together the butter and caster sugar using a spoon until pale.
- Beat in the eggs, and fold in the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Add in the vanilla extract and the milk, and mix together until you have a smooth chocolate cupcake batter.
- Spoon the batter into each case until half or two-thirds full.
- Place in the oven for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick or knife comes out clean when inserted into one of the cupcakes. Leave to cool.
- Mix the crushed Oreos and buttercream together. Until well combined. Leave about 1 tbsp of crushed Oreos for sprinkling.
- When the cupcakes have cooled, spoon the buttercream into a piping bag with a star nozzle. Pipe the buttercream in a spiral motion.
- Sprinkle the remaining Oreo crumbs on top of the cupcake, and enjoy.